Louisville Slugger All-Americans Announced
• 3B Kris Bryant Named National Player Of The Year
The 17-man first team, chosen by performances up to regional playoffs and picked by the staff of Collegiate Baseball newspaper, features 12 conference players or pitchers of the year, including:
• RHP Aaron Nola, Louisiana St. (Pitcher of Year Southeastern Conference).
• LHP Kent Emanuel, North Carolina (Pitcher of Year Atlantic Coast Conference).
• RHP Thomas Eshelman, Cal. St. Fullerton (Freshman Of Year Big West Conference).
• RHP Kerry Doane, East Tennessee St. (Pitcher of Year Atlantic Sun Conference).
• RHP David Berg, UCLA (Pitcher of Year Pac-12 Conference).
• C Mitch Garver, New Mexico (Co-Player of Year Mountain West Conference).
• 1B Jimmy Yezzo, Delaware (Player of Year Colonial Conference).
• 1B/3B D.J. Peterson, New Mexico (Co-Player of Year Mountain West Conference).
• 2B Tony Kemp, Vanderbilt (Player of Year Southeastern Conference).
• 3B Kris Bryant, San Diego (Co-Player of Year West Coast Conference).
• SS Hunter Dozier, Stephen F. Austin (Player of Year Southland Conference).
• OF Justin Parr, Illinois (Player of Year Big Ten Conference).
San Diego 3B Kris Bryant is Collegiate Baseball’s National Player Of The Year. He finished the 2013 regular season with 31 home runs — the most by an NCAA Division I player in the last 10 years. He led all Division I hitters in eight offensive categories, including:
• Home Runs: 31
• Home Runs Per Game: .53
• Runs: 78
• Runs Per Game: 1.34
• Slugging Percentage: .860
• Total Bases: 185
• Walks: 62
• Walks Per Game: 1.07
The first team features one pitcher with 130 strikeouts (Stanford’s Mark Appel), another who only walked two batters in 99.6 innings (Cal. St. Fullerton’s Thomas Eshelman), and one who tossed 12 complete games (Kerry Doane of East Tennessee St.).
The first team offense features remarkable power, line drive hitters and batters who hit for high averages. Five hitters collected 24 or more doubles led by Jimmy Yezzo of Delaware with 28. Illinois’ Justin Parr put together a 33-game hitting streak while five batters hit .390 or above.