September 24, 2015
Sponsored by EDGE charting software and web stats, the award is in its 13th year.
Dunn will receive this award at the American Baseball Coaches Association Convention next January in Nashville.
Consider these accomplishments in his first four years at LSU:
- LSU has had the SEC Pitcher of the Year three years (Kevin Gausman in 2012, Aaron Nola in 2013, and Aaron Nola again in 2014).
- LSU has had a consensus first team All-American pitcher each of his four years (Kevin Gausman in 2012, Aaron Nola in 2013, Aaron Nola in 2014 and Alex Lange in 2015).
- LSU has had the National Pitcher of the Year (Aaron Nola in 2014).
- LSU has had the National Freshman Pitcher of the year (Alex Lange in 2015).
- LSU has had nine pitchers taken in the major league draft in the last four years (including two first round draft choices and one second round draft choice).
- In his first year at LSU in 2012, the staff ERA dropped almost a full run from 4.13 to 3.25.
- LSU has been a national seed in all four years he has been pitching coach at LSU.
- In 2013, LSU went to the College World Series with a veteran pitching staff leading the way. LSU lost 7 of its’ top 9 pitchers after the season. Even with this turnover and losing six pitchers from the 2014 staff to season ending injuries and other factors, consider what the 2014 pitching staff accomplished:
- LSU was No. 1 in the nation with a school-record 17 shutouts
- The LSU staff was No. 5 in the nation in hits allowed per nine innings (6.99)
- The Tigers were No. 6 in the nation and No. 1 in the SEC in WHIP (walks plus hits per inning pitched – 1.09)
- LSU’s team ERA of 2.60 was No. 2 in the SEC and No. 12 in the nation
- LSU was No. 1 in the SEC in fewest runs allowed (180).
The former minor league pitching coordinator for the Baltimore Orioles, was hired in June 2011 as pitching coach for the LSU baseball program. Dunn, who has 22 years of experience as a pitching coach on the professional level, has coached over 25 pitchers that have advanced to Major League Baseball.
Dunn in 2013 directed an LSU pitching staff that posted a 2.40 ERA, which ranked second in the SEC and No. 3 in the nation. The Tigers were also No. 2 in the league in opponent batting average (.218) and No. 3 in the conference in strikeouts (506). Four members of the 2013 LSU staff were selected in the first 14 rounds of the MLB Draft.
Previous Collegiate Baseball Pitching Coaches of The Year include:
• 2014: Karl Kuhn, Virginia
• 2013: Nate Yeskie, Oregon St.
• 2012: Shaun Cole, Arizona
• 2011: Phil Cundari, Seton Hall
• 2010: Mark Calvi, South Carolina
• 2009: Jerry Weinstein, Colorado Rockies
• 2008: Scott Forbes, North Carolina
• 2007: Dan Spencer, Oregon St.
• 2006: Gordie Alderink, Grand Valley St.
• 2005: Tom Holliday, Texas
• 2004: Derek Johnson, Vanderbilt
• 2003: Mark McQueen, Virginia Commonwealth