OREGON ST. NO. 1 IN COLLEGIATE BASEBALL POLL
TUCSON, Ariz. — Oregon State is ranked No. 1 for the third straight Collegiate Baseball NCAA Division I baseball poll presented by Big League Chew bubble gum.
The Beavers (41-9), winners of 14 of their last 15, have won 13 of their last 14 Pac-12 Conference games and took two of three over Washington during the past weekend in a showdown of top 10 teams.
Poll Notes: Several other teams have been red hot. Canisius has the nation’s longest winning streak at 16. Kansas has won 11 of its last 13, Louisiana-Lafayette, Cal. Poly, Arizona State and Ball State have each won six straight while Louisiana St., Oregon and Texas Tech. have captured 4 in a row.
In key series over the past weekend, Virginia lost two of three at Wake Forest, Miami (Fla.) won two of three at home against North Carolina, Florida State won two of three at home against Duke, Oklahoma State won two of three against Oklahoma, South Carolina won two of three against Vanderbilt and Mississippi State won two of three at Alabama,
Five teams fell out of the top 30 this week in U.C. Irvine (swept three straight by Cal. St. Fullerton over the past weekend and lost five of last six), Alabama (2-2 last week), Liberty (1-3), Pepperdine (2-2) and Stony Brook (2-1). New to the poll is Arizona State, Arkansas, Kansas, Ball State and Canisius.
The Collegiate Baseball newspaper poll is the oldest college baseball poll. Its birth took place during the 1959 college baseball season.
Collegiate Baseball NCAA Division I Poll
(As of May 19, 2014)
|Rank||Team (2014 Record)||Points||Pvs|
|1.||Oregon St. (41-9)||494||1|
|3.||Miami, Fla. (40-15)||489||4|
|5.||Cal. Poly (45-10)||484||12|
|6.||Florida St. (41-14)||483||6|
|7.||Oklahoma St. (41-14)||480||7|
|12.||Texas Christian (38-15)||467||9|
|14.||Louisiana St. (40-14-1)||463||15|
|15.||South Carolina (42-14)||460||17|
|17.||Mississippi St. (35-20)||455||16|
|21.||Arizona St. (30-21)||445||—|
|22.||Sam Houston St. (40-15)||443||25|
|26.||Ball St. (38-16)||431||—|
|27.||Texas Tech. (40-16)||427||27|
• LHP Eric Bauer, College of Charleston: Bauer set a school record by pitching the final 10 innings of relief in College of Charleston’s 23-inning, walk-off 3-2 win over William & Mary. The game tied for the second longest in NCAA history. Bauer struck out five and allowed just one run on five hits with no walks. He threw 111 pitches as he picked up the win.
• LHP Dillon Peters, Texas: Peters and Morgan Cooper combined for a no-hitter during a 12-0 win over Kansas State. In his first start since April 26, Peters pitched seven innings and struck out eight with no hits. Cooper followed with two hitless innings to close out Texas’ first no-hitter since 2009.
• INF/LHP Scott Heath, Maine: Heath hit .529 with 3 home runs, 11 RBI and 6 runs scored. In a doubleheader sweep of Maryland-Baltimore County, he went 7-for-8 with 6 runs scored, 3 home runs and 9 RBI. For good measure, he also picked up a win in the series for the Black Bears.
• C/1B Tyler Moore, Louisiana St.: Moore was 8-for-16 at the plate with 3 doubles, 1 homer and 13 RBI over 4 games with 6 runs scored. In a win over Northwestern State, Moore produced a career-high 8 RBI and launched the first grand slam of his career. It was the first time an LSU player collected 8 RBI in a game since the 2000 season.
• 3B Jimmy Allen, Cal. Poly: Allen entered a weekend series at Cal. St. Northridge with only two home runs on the season. During the 3-game series, he belted 3 round trippers and knocked in 5 runs. His second homer broke the school’s career hit record (244). Allen was 6-for-14 in the series with a pair of 3-hit games and 6 runs scored.